Monday, April 20, 2009

"Doing" Technology- My lesson with my family!

1. I gave a family home evening lesson to my parents and seventeen year old sister last night. My sister is a cheerleader and even though she is never on the computer I felt it was important to talk to her about being smart on the internet. Also, my parents are not technology savvy and so I wanted to educate them a little bit on what is going on out there and how to prevent it.

2. I decided to focus on the importance of getting a filter for the computer and how careful you need to be with personal information on the internet. I used the movie on i-safe (http://www.isafe.org/webcasts/?videoid=1&school_id=10079) to show them what kind of information should be given out on the internet and how easily you can be traced or hurt. They were really shocked by this and they had a lot of questions. I also had us take turns reading the talk by Elder Ballard on the importance of the family unit to tie in the gospel. We had a really great discussion on being involved in each others lives and filtering our computers. My mom said she called one of her good friends this morning and got a website for a great filter. I had given her some ideas as well. The whole talk went really well and I think I scared my parents. All of the kids are pretty well grown up now, but grand babies are starting to come so they are going to be prepared. Plus, I scared my sister to death :) Just kidding but she will be very careful on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment